18 Sept 2016

A Note on Bible Translations

Just thought I would clarify briefly on my choice of Bible translations.

I personally prefer more modern translations of the Bible as opposed to more traditional translations such as the King James Version or even the NKJV.  Of course I don't hold it against anyone who has preference to these versions of the Bible, but allow me to explain what versions I like to use and why.

I will be primarily using the New Living Translation, The Passion Translation, and on occasion, the English Standard Version.  I will specify the version I use for each reference, and will identify if I use another version other then these three I have mentioned above.

Picture from Amazon 2016
You have probably heard of the ESV, and possibly and NLV, but The Passion Translation - translated by Dr. Brian Simmons - is one that many people have not heard of, and understandably so, as it is so new that not all of it has been translated yet!  But please do not allow this to scare you off!  One of the reasons I prefer new translations to traditional versions is because the English language is constantly changing.  There are phrases in the KLJ that scholars today are not even sure the meaning of today because the words are so very 1611.  If we are so busy trying to just work out the English words and their meaning, how can we concentrate on what God is trying to teach us through the meanings underneath the text?  The Passion Translation Website says this about the way they aimed to translate the Bible:

While we’ve worked hard to express the original biblical languages in modern English, we believe there really is no such thing as a consistent word-for-word translation. Yes literal meaning matters, but the full meaning of a passage doesn’t transfer from word-to-word. Our translation philosophy is that the meaning of God’s original message to the world has priority over its exact form, which is why our goal is to communicate the meaning of Scripture as clearly and naturally as possible in modern English.
Brian and other reviewers have sought to remain faithful to the original biblical languages by preserving their literal meaning, yet flexible enough to convey God’s original message in a way modern English speakers can understand. It is a balanced translation that tries to hold both the Word’s literal meaning and original message in proper tension, resulting in an entirely new, fresh, fiery translation of God’s Word.  (Broadstreet Publishing Group 2015)
I have found (in my own devotional time) The Passion Translation to be incredibly beautiful and eloquently written in modern English, throwing new light on verses and passages I had not previously understood.  It has blessed my spiritual walk immensely and I hope it blesses your life as well.
Love and blessings to you and yours in Christ,




Broadstreet Publishing Group (2015)  FAQs. The Passion Translation.  Retrieved from http://www.thepassiontranslation.com/faqs/  (September 18, 2016)

Amazon (2016).  Retrieved from http://www.amazon.in/Passion-Translation-Set-7/dp/1424549612 (September 19, 2016)

0 comments:

Post a Comment