11 Feb 2017

His Presence, Her Heartbeat


I don’t have the words,
But God you hear my heartbeat.
Hold me near your heart, my King,
And allow my heart to beat with yours.

I recently read about a study in which several couples who were in love were put in a room by themselves - one couple at a time - and were closely monitored.  They were not to talk to each other.  They did not even touch each other.  They just sat there together.  They then did the same test with couples who were strangers to each other.  Again they were closely monitored.  What they found was that the couples that were in love synchronized their heart rhythms until their hearts beat in time with each other.What is more, the study showed that in nearly every case, it was the woman's heart beat that skipped along until it matched that of her man.  In the test in which the couples did not know their partner, however, there was no synchronization at all.


Bring me closer, bring me deeper,
Until I’m submerged in your grace.
Grace upon Grace, what is such loving kindness?
I cannot deserve such mercy
Still you lavish it on me and you raise me higher.

What if the Bride - the church of Jesus Christ - was so in love with her Groom, that just being in his presence made her heart skip until it beat in time with His?  What if we stopped straining so hard to hear his voice and just sat back in adoration and enjoyed being with Him?  Have you ever been there in that place?  You sit and you aren't asking anything from him, just whispering his name and telling him how wonderful he is.  The silence breeds intimacy and he will respond.  I have never felt so loved, or so treasured as in those moments when I am by myself in his presence just enjoying him.  Adoration grows.  The more you adore him, the more of himself he reveals to be adored, and he pours himself into you as you pour yourself into him.  That's when the synchronization happens.  In between and through the tender quiet whisperings of love, you start to sense and then to hear his heartbeat.  And it is the most terrifyingly beautiful thing you have ever heard.  Terrifying because it requires everything; beautiful because it gives a million times that amount back. 


Rags for Riches, filth for holiness,
Ashes for beauty, sin for righteousness.
As I continue this metamorphosis –
This becoming for look like You –
Take my heart and hold it in Your hands.
Your scars heal mine.  I am whole again.
How I long to just be in your presence, my God. 
To feel your arms around me and hear your heart beating.
Walk with me until I am fully Yours.

I believe Jesus is looking for the Church that is not so busy doing His works as she is to soak in His love and hear His words.  His presence will equip us for the doing, but we cannot do the doing without it.  We need to look like our Beloved one, else we are just another non-profitable organization.  Looking like Jesus has nothing to do with the outside appearance.  We don't have to be shiny and wear a halo (does Jesus wear a halo anyway???).  Looking like Jesus is expressing the love and tender mercy and compassion in a way that our community in today's age and today's time and today's culture will understand.   You will reflect the one you worship. 

As you are Holy, make me Holy.
As You expressed Love, make me love’s expression.
As You showed grace, allow me to show grace. 
Hear my heart, God, without words.
I have no words – just adoration. 
Be mine, Lord Jesus.  Be mine.

0 comments:

Post a Comment